The health of our customers and employees is always our primary focus and during the COVID-19 pandemic we are ensuring the essential operation of Solid Waste Removal. To accomplish this safely we have made the decision to cease recycle sorting operations effective immediately.
• Logistically collecting recycle curbside is fairly low risk with the use of our drivers and helpers PPE (Personal Protective Equipment). Once the recycle is collected curbside it is then returned to our recycle facility where it is taken to our sorting line. Each piece of recycle is handled individually at least once before being baled and prepared for market. Given this process even with their PPE we must take our sorters safety into consideration.
• We have contacted County Commissioners, San Miguel County Health Department, and the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. The conclusion of these discussions was that at this time the pickup and removal of both solid waste and recycle is an essential service but not the sorting of recycle products.
• For public health and safety we are not able to store un-sorted recyclables at our facility. All items will now be taken to the landfill.
• All fees will still apply because the volume and act of service will not change. The sorting cost will now cover the tipping fees to dispose of the waste.
• All routing will continue as is: this means if you have your scheduled recycle pick up on a different day than your regular trash day we will continue to pick up on both days. Our goal with continuing all routing is to be able to easily move back into recycle operations once the COVID-19 pandemic is over.
• Prior requirements asked items be sanitized, we are now asking that all items be bagged. Please contact our office at the above phone numbers or email with any questions. We appreciate your continued support through this uncertain time.