Come Relax in Our Hot Springs
Our famous sulfur-free hot springs are the steamy part of your Ouray getaway. Nothing beats a hot springs soak after a day of adventures. Explore our five public and private Ouray County hot springs. After an exhilarating adventure on foot, or climbing up a wall of ice, or a pleasant day of shopping Ouray’s unique businesses, soaking in the hot springs and viewing the snow-covered canyon walls from the water in winter is truly a restorative experience.
There are five local developed hot springs in Ouray and nearby Ridgway. These include the Ouray Hot Springs Pool, the vapor caves of the Wiesbaden Hot Springs Spa & Lodgings, the pools at the Twin Peaks Lodge & Hot Springs and at the naturally landscaped pools at Orvis Hot Springs in Ridgway. Guests at the Box Canyon Lodge and Hot Springs can also enjoy private hot springs during their hotel stay. Stay in our valley and soak to your heart's content!
Just in time for its 90th Anniversary, the Ouray Hot Springs Pool unveiled a multi-million dollar renovation. After three years of input from community interest groups the new pool facility is sure create lasting memories for future generations to come. Come visit and see the new overlook pools, increased seating, the activity pool and slides!
More Hot Springs!
If you just can't get enough of hot springs in Colorado, consider a multi-day journey along the Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop. Thermal hot springs flow abundantly throughout the Colorado Rocky Mountains. Soaking in natural mineral water is a time-honored tradition to enhance wellness. One thing is for sure: relaxation is the ultimate goal.
Ouray is one of five premier hot springs destinations in the western part of the state have formed the 720-mile Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop, which showcases some of the most popular hot springs attractions in the country. Our partner communities include Pagosa Springs, Chaffee County, Steamboat Springs and Glenwood Springs. There is so much variety: from intimate private baths to the world’s largest mineral hot springs pool. Each of the 19 facilities highlighted along the loop offers unique features like vapor caves, hot pots, terraced pools, enormous travertine formations and fun-filled aquatic centers.
- Download a map of the Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop.
- Download the full brochure for the Colorado Historic Hot Springs Loop.
The Colorado Hot Springs Loop is supported by funding from the Colorado Tourism Office, A State Agency.
(The McLeod plunge bath in the early 1900's - advertised then as now " as “Ouray’s Mineral Hot Springs, Best Natural Hot Water in the State of Colorado"
Image courtesy of the Ouray County Historical Society)
Mineral content of our water
Mineral-rich hot spring water offer a slew of natural health benefits that you may not know about. The healing powers of hot springs have been used for thousands of years and are widely accepted all over the world. There are regions featuring geothermal pools, hot springs, and water heated by volcanic activity that also contain healing and curative properties. Minerals in the water help to alleviate ailments and diseases like asthma, psoriasis, muscle pain, acne, arthritis, neuralgia, and more. And not only is it healthy, it’s relaxing too.
The therapeutic use of water, or balneotherapy, could be, “just what the doctor ordered”, when it comes to relieving pain, stress, skin woes and more.
Here is the mineral content of the Ouray Hot Springs Pool (each hot spring in Ouray County tends to has its own unique "mix" based on its water source, so be sure to ask when you check in!).
- Sodium 99.5mg/l – Water balance, brain function, muscle cramps, anti-aging
- Calcium 360 mg/l– Bone health (osteoporosis), arthritis, dental care, insomnia, menopause, cramps, weight loss, high blood pressure
- Magnesium 9.8 mg/l – Maintains normal heart rhythms; converts blood sugar to energy; maintains muscle tissue and hormone levels.
- Potassium 9.8 mg/l – Normalizes heart rhythms; has been shown to reduce muscle cramps, support healthy muscle growth, and moderate stress
- Chloride 47.9 mg/l – Helps keep the amount of fluid inside and outside of cells in balance and helps maintain blood volume
- Sulfate 10.3 mg/l – Acne, arthritis, back/shoulder/neck pain, detoxify the body, anti-inflammatory
- Iron 4.15 mg/l – Haemoglobin formation, body metabolism, muscle activity, anaemia, brain function, immunity, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, regulation of body temperature
- Manganese .821 mg/l – Body metabolism, osteoporosis, fatigue, reproduction, inflammation, brain function, epilepsy
- Fluoride 2.32 mg/l – Prevention of tooth and bone decay
- Boron .03 mg/l – Bone health, brain function, anti-aging, muscle pain
- Molybdenum .007 mg/l – Supports dental health
- Zinc .017 mg/l – Skin care, healing of wounds, colds, weight loss, aids in digestion
- Phosphate (trace amounts) – Weakness, bone health, brain function, sexual weakness, dental care, body metabolism
- Lithium (trace amounts) – Associated with healthy brain function
- Barium 0.02 mg/l– Helps balance gastrointestinal tract
- Selenium (trace amounts)– Helps prevent cancer
- Bicarbonate 178 mg/l– Antacid